The Oregon Council on Developmental Disabilities (OCDD) and the Oregon Self-Advocacy Coalition (OSAC) are working on a peer-to-peer (P2P) education project called “P2P for Employment.” This project is funded by the Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS) and OCDD. The purpose of the P2P project is to educate, inspire and encourage people with developmental disabilities to succeed in their community employment goals. OSAC will hire eight peer mentors for this project.
Applications are now open for people with developmental disabilities to apply to work as peer mentors for this project. The deadline to apply is Friday, May 13, 2016. The application is available online.
In this project, peer mentors are people with developmental disabilities experienced with the employment process and working at a regular job in the community. Peer mentors will teach their peers and provide support to help them reach a personal employment goal. After completing the 18-hour training, peer mentors will work up to 20 hours per month. Schedules will vary depending on project activities.
A summary of the project activities:
- OSAC will hire eight peer mentors to provide peer support and mentoring to groups of peers in four local communities.
- The local communities will likely be in the Portland metro, Eugene and Bend areas. This will limit transportation time and costs and allow fine-tuning of the curriculum and implementation.
- Peer mentors will be hired as employees of OSAC and will earn $13 per hour.
- Project consultants developed the curriculum and an evaluation plan.
- Project staff and consultants will train the peer mentors and provide ongoing co-facilitation, support and consultation to help mentors educate their peers and provide support to those interested in pursuing competitive employment.
- OCDD and OSAC will conduct ongoing evaluation activities throughout the project and use this data to make decisions, improve the project and seek additional funding from multiple sources for expansion to additional communities.
If you have comments or other questions, please email them to email@example.com