FAQ: How intake works

Q: I need disability-related legal help. How can I reach Disability Rights Oregon?

A: You can receive disability-related legal help from DRO in one of three ways:

  • Call us at 503-243-2081 or 1-800-452-1694 between 9am-12 or 1pm-5pm, Monday through Friday
  • Use our online contact us form on our website: www.droregon.org/need-help/get-help/
  • Write to us:

Disability Rights Oregon
511 SW 10th Avenue, Suite 200
Portland, Oregon 97205

Q: I get Social Security disability benefits. How will work affect my benefits?

A: The DRO WIPA team can provide information about work incentives to help you make informed decisions about work. You can call the WIPA Program at 503-323-9159 or 1-833-438-7308.  For general questions about benefits planning, work incentives, and the Ticket to Work program please call the Ticket to Work Helpline at 1(866) 968-7842.

Q: I am in an institution where my phone calls are not confidential, like a jail or prison. How can I reach Disability Rights Oregon?

A: If you are in an institution where your phone calls are not confidential (such as jail or prison), you can write to us:

Disability Rights Oregon
511 SW 10th Avenue, Suite 200
Portland, Oregon 97205

Q: When I call for disability-related legal assistance, what happens next?

A: You can call to schedule an appointment between 9am-12 or 1pm-5pm, Monday through Friday. Our front desk staff will ask for your name, your phone number, and the general nature of your concern. They will schedule a phone appointment time with the Intake Advocate that will be the most helpful with your concern.

In urgent, time-sensitive situations, you may be transferred directly to an intake staff person if they are available.

Q: What happens if I miss my telephone appointment?

A: DRO Intake Advocates will make two attempts to call you. If you miss your appointment, you’ll have to call back and make a new appointment.

Q: Can I leave a DRO voicemail with my information and concerns?

A: No, DRO is not able to respond to voicemail messages requesting services. Please call us back between 9am-12 or 1pm-5pm, Monday through Friday. Our front desk staff will make you an appointment with an Intake Advocate.

Q: If I am in crisis or an emergency, can DRO help me?

A: No, DRO cannot provide an emergency response. DRO is not equipped to provide emergency or crisis response. If you have an emergency, you should contact 911, law enforcement, your county crisis line, or Adult Protective Services.

Q: What happens during a my telephone intake appointment?

A: You should expect to receive general information related to your concern and self-advocacy suggestions. Intake staff cannot provide legal advice. After your appointment, you will receive an email or letter that summarizes the information and suggestions. If you have further questions, you may make another appointment. Most callers will not be assigned to an attorney for legal representation.

Q: Does my intake appointment mean that I am getting an attorney and that DRO is representing me?

A: No. Most callers will not be assigned to an attorney for legal representation.

Q: Will DRO make accommodation for me?

A: DRO will provide accommodations in order to meet callers’ needs, such as a language interpreter, written communication, video relay or TTY, large print, or other accommodations upon request.

Disability Rights Oregon cannot help with the following issues, even if they are related to a disability:

  • Applying for or appealing denial of Social Security disability benefits
  • Criminal law
  • Family law
  • Becoming the guardian of a person with a disability
  • Help finding employment, housing or financial assistance
  • Out-of-state issues
  • Workers’ compensation
  • Medical malpractice & personal injury
  • Consumer or bankruptcy issues
  • Any issue or problem not directly related to your disability
  • Anything that is not the wish of the person with the disability
  • Any issue for a person who already has an attorney working on the same issue

Where else can I get help?

  • If the problem is in another state: click here for a list of Protection & Advocacy (P&A) Systems in each U.S. state & territory.
  • If you need a private attorney, click here for the Oregon State Bar’s Lawyer Referral Service. The State Bar also has a Modest Means Program.
  • If you have a criminal issue, click here to contact the Circuit Court of the county in which you live to find out whether you qualify for a Public Defender.
  • For general information and referrals about various resources in Oregon, please call 2-1-1 or visit http://www.211.org/


File a grievance against Disability Rights Oregon.


The content of this website is not legal advice and is for informational purposes only. The use of this website does not create any contract or an attorney-client relationship.  All Disability Rights Oregon attorneys are licensed to practice in Oregon.  Our principal office is located in Portland, Oregon.  Our agency’s work is limited to Oregon, and benefits planning services extend to southwest Washington.

We cannot guarantee the accuracy, completeness, adequacy, timeliness, or relevance of the information on this website.  Disability Rights Oregon (DRO) is not responsible for the content of any third party comments posted on our site. We reserve the right to remove any comments posted.  We cannot guarantee the accuracy of any other site accessible through a link on our site.

Your privacy: We do not require any fields but you must provide at least one way to contact you. Giving us information is the first step in our intake process. This website uses an SSL certificate, which secures information between your web browser and our server. The information you share will remain private and confidential.  However, we advise that you not provide confidential information until DRO has run a conflict check.  No attorney-client relationship will be formed simply by communicating or supplying information to DRO via email or the website.